New research by Borrell Associates predicts that this year's total will reach $3.9 billion compared with $2.7 billion in 2004.
Higher internet usage, campaigns targeted at local businesses and repeat business from last year are all factors driving the increase.
More news from dotJournalism:
Web recruitment growing
Papers chase web ads
Stay of execution for print small ads
Online advertising on the up and up
Free daily newsletter
- 'Platforms should pay for news' a peer committee says
- Solving the revenue maximisation problem for publishers
- Dying to get online: independent media’s 'last-chance saloon'
- 108 hyperlocal UK publishers may go bust without government financial help
- New platform Kapang TV brings hyperlocal content to 400 UK towns and cities