The European Interactive Advertising Association found that the internet now accounts for 20 per cent of all media consumption across Europe in terms of the time consumers spend engaging with such material. Newspapers accounted for 10 per cent and magazines 7 per cent.
Of the 1,000 people surveyed by the group, 40 per cent of web users were online seven days each week.
TV still comes out as the most popular medium accounting for 36 per cent of media time, but 70 per cent of those surveyed said that there was too much advertising on TV and one third said they watch less TV as a result of the internet.
More news from dotJournalism:
Web ads boost brands
In TV news we trust
Twenty-somethings prefer web versions of newspapers
Free daily newsletter
- POLITICO Europe launches Pro Intelligence platform to empower reporting on EU policies
- Report: What publishers prioritise in their Facebook strategy
- Pop-up newspaper aimed at Remain voters launches in the UK
- Politico Europe aims to become the continent's 'ESPN for politics'
- Tip: Check out these free tools for analysing data about the EU