Mr Bale has previously worked for Reuters and FT.com and will be the first editorial director for Times Online.
"Peter will be working closely with all divisions of TNL to ensure that we continue to develop the site and further extend the brand," said Times editor Robert Thomson.
Times Online was launched in 2001 and reports around 2.1 million unique users each month.
More news on dotJournalism:
Good Times ahead
Let the good Times roll
The Times they are a-changing
Free daily newsletter
- The Times set to launch a radio station to capture new subscribers
- 'Conscious commissioning': what The Times learned from deep analysis of its journalism
- Nine tips on crafting the perfect headline for print and online
- What do millennials and Gen Z want from the news? Convenience and hard-hitting content
- Weekly journalism news update: Virtual reality, WhatsApp audio briefings and TikTok