Five foreign correspondents will contribute to the new World News blog: Nick Paton Walsh reporting from Asia, Jonathan Miller from various conflict zones; Lindsey Hilsum, who was based in China but now reports from all over the world; Jonathan Rugman, the diplomatic correspondent; and Sarah Smith in Washington.
Channel 4 News has a specific focus on world news, commissioning editor of new media, news, and current affairs, Vicky Taylor, told Journalism.co.uk. "It shows a greater percentage of world news [than many other news channels] so you've got to exploit that," she said.
The five correspondents, who piloted the blog last week, 'cover the globe' between them, she said.
Snowblog, written by Jon Snow, has been a great success and political and economic blogs are also in the pipeline, Taylor added.
"He [Snow] really gets it - he really relishes the comments. He's really taken to it - he loves it. He writes beautifully. He does - being Jon Snow - meet a whole load of interesting people. [He's] bringing a new audience who might not [otherwise] have come to the website."
Update: Channel 4 News have said that the blog launch may be postponed till later this week.
Free daily newsletter
- Samantha Tomaszewski, social strategy leader, BuzzFeed, on career in social media audience engagement
- Tip: Nine ways to boost your social media strategy
- BBC director-general: "We are activists for impartiality"
- Josh Helmuth, morning news anchor for KRDO, on being a journalist on YouTube
- Six self-care tips for journalists to stay sane during the pandemic