Speaking to Journalism.co.uk, executive producer of Sky News Online John Jelley said that the app will also pull in content from the Sky News HD channel and live videos from Sky News Centre.
He added that the app, which is currently free, had cost "significant investment". Non-Sky subscribers will be asked to pay a monthly fee in the near future, he said, but could not confirm when.
Jelley predicts that people will consume news for longer on the iPad app than they do on the Sky News iPhone app, which is currently in the top 10 UK downloads.
Video, both live and on demand, will be at the centre of the app, which will allow users to rewind live video.
Free daily newsletter
- Facial recognition, subtitling automation and datasets: how Sky News uses AI to unburden journalists
- New app News With Friends encourages users to share stories from outside their filter bubble
- Tip: What the latest iOS update means for journalists
- So you want to be a newsreader?
- OpenDataCity is using sensor data to give readers the right news at the right time