In his new role Griffin will be responsible for co-ordinating the development of JP's digital products
It is understood that Griffin will be responsible for co-ordinating the development of JP's digital products, including news and classified advertising across mobile, applications and online platforms.
"This is a hugely exciting time to be joining Johnston Press," Griffin said in a statement. "There’s a very strong focus on digital within the organisation and I look forward to shaping and delivering some best-in-class products for JP."
In his new role Griffin will report to Alex Gubbay, who joined JP from the BBC last year as head of digital content and last week became director of digital platforms.
"We’re delighted to have someone of Sean’s calibre on board, helping us take our digital products to a new level," Gubbay added.
Earlier this month Johnston Press announced the launch of a revamped online property platform in partnership with digital property firm Zoopla.
In January JP title the Scotsman launched a paid-for iPad app.
Free daily newsletter
- New report highlights the online harassment faced by women in journalism, and the lack of training on how to cope
- Looking 24 hours ahead: Q&A with cartoonist Matt Pritchett on his 30th anniversary at The Telegraph
- How newsrooms will be adopting artificial intelligence in 2018
- Startups with innovative solutions for newsrooms can apply to global programme until 8 January
- Norway's largest local media company capitalised on digital subscriptions with a three stage plan