Michael Arrington, who foudned TechCrunch alongside Patrick Gallagher, his partner at partner at VantagePoint Venture PartnersCredit: Joi on Flickr. Some rights reserved.
A spokesman for AOL confirmed today that Arrington was stepping down from his editorial role following the setting up of CrunchFund, a new venture capital firm already invested in by TechCrunch owner AOL.
Arrington has founded the firm alongside Patrick Gallagher, his partner at partner at VantagePoint Venture Partners, according to TechCrunch's database of technology companies CrunchBase.
It is reported that AOL is now looking for a new managing editor for TechCrunch while Arrington will remain founding editor. It is also reported that he will continue to write for the site.
According to the Wall Street Journal co-editor Erick Schonfeld is to become the site's interim editor while the hunt for Arrington's replacement begins.
TechCrunch was bought by AOL last year, with the deal signed on stage at TechCrunch's Disrupt conference.
Free daily newsletter
- So you want to be a technology reporter?
- DroneHack: Journalism will explore newsgathering and storytelling with drones
- Report: Technology trends journalists should watch in 2017
- How journalism schools can create an innovation mindset in the classroom
- #StopTrafficking2016 project shows how augmented reality can foster empathy with news and social issues