Mr Ruddle will be the Telegraph's first podcast editor, and this is believed to be the first role of its kind at a major news organisation.
Mr Ruddle joined the BBC in 1990 and most recently presented Wake up to Monday on BBC Radio 5. His new role begins in January.
"Radio and sound has long been considered the most personal medium and the close relationship that the Daily Telegraph has with its readers makes it the perfect paper for the intimate nature of podcasting," said Mr Ruddle.
"This is a fantastic opportunity - one where I hope to be setting new standards for others to follow."
The Telegraph launched its daily podcast of selected news and sports pieces last month.
More news from journalism.co.uk:
Guardian's Gervais podcast tops US and UK charts
Telegraph's 'Snap and send' launch sparks rights grab row
John Peel tributes trigger record traffic for BBC.co.uk
Ricky Gervais to podcast. Fact.
Telegraph launches audio news feed
Tim Faircliff leaves Telegraph for Reuters
Times Online loses digital director
Free daily newsletter
- How has the pandemic changed media recruitment?
- Jo Adetunji, editor of The Conversation, on recruiting diverse talent
- David Higgerson, chief audience officer, Reach plc, on overcoming leadership challenges during the pandemic
- Daniell Morrisey: How to prepare a killer CV
- How can London-based media organisations leverage talent outside the capital?