Following up previous reports into how US newspapers use their websites, the Bivings Report has set out a series of suggestions to 'offer the newspaper industry some unsolicited advice' on how to make improvements online.
The report contains several examples of online services using particular functions in a successful or productive way.
1. Start using tags.
2. Provide full text RSS feeds.
3. Work with external "social" websites.
4. Link to relevant blog entries.
5. Get rid of all registration.
6. Partner with local bloggers.
7. Offer alternative views of your content.
8. Modernize your site's graphic design.
9. Learn from Craigslist.
10. Make your content work on cell phones and PDAs.
Free daily newsletter
- Meet the inspiring, disabled journalists working their dream jobs
- Shaping the future of journalism: insights for the next generation
- New free course on war reporting launched
- Solutions journalism superstars: media mentor and trainer, Swati Sanyal Tarafdar
- Preethi Nallu, global director, Report for the World, on strengthening media ecosystems