Following up previous reports into how US newspapers use their websites, the Bivings Report has set out a series of suggestions to 'offer the newspaper industry some unsolicited advice' on how to make improvements online.
The report contains several examples of online services using particular functions in a successful or productive way.
1. Start using tags.
2. Provide full text RSS feeds.
3. Work with external "social" websites.
4. Link to relevant blog entries.
5. Get rid of all registration.
6. Partner with local bloggers.
7. Offer alternative views of your content.
8. Modernize your site's graphic design.
9. Learn from Craigslist.
10. Make your content work on cell phones and PDAs.
Free daily newsletter
- How simple storytelling techniques can make you a better writer
- Five mistakes media trainers make - and how to avoid them
- So you graduated in journalism. Now what?
- "Solutions journalism has never been more needed. So we made a game about it"
- EJC launches Freelance Journalism Assembly to support the self-employed community