Following up previous reports into how US newspapers use their websites, the Bivings Report has set out a series of suggestions to 'offer the newspaper industry some unsolicited advice' on how to make improvements online.
The report contains several examples of online services using particular functions in a successful or productive way.
1. Start using tags.
2. Provide full text RSS feeds.
3. Work with external "social" websites.
4. Link to relevant blog entries.
5. Get rid of all registration.
6. Partner with local bloggers.
7. Offer alternative views of your content.
8. Modernize your site's graphic design.
9. Learn from Craigslist.
10. Make your content work on cell phones and PDAs.
Free daily newsletter
- New MoJo learning platform Mobile Creator Academy set to launch
- Mental health and journalism: how Headlines Network is helping burst the taboos
- Journalists are exhausted and we need a safe space to talk about it
- Five essential tips for delivering online training
- Osama Gaweesh, refugee journalist, on his journey into the UK media industry