What is it? A tool for searching Twitter bios
How is it of use to journalists? This tool is a great way to search Twitter bios. If you want to search for sources for a story or to look for key people to follow on Twitter, here is a solution.
For example, you could search for 'social media editor', 'environmental lawyer' or 'London cabbie' and Followerwonk will then list those people who have used that description in their Twitter bio. (There are 441 people with 'social media editor' in their bio listed, 179 environmental lawyers and 188 London cabbies.)
A great feature is that Followerwonk shows the number of followers, influence, number of tweets and other factors in the results.
The search function is free, with a paid-for pro service adding features such as in-app following and the option to export data to csv or Excel.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Follow this Twitter list for journalism students
- Tip: Check out this collection of tools for digital journalists
- Tool for journalists: Hypothes.is, a Chrome extension for annotations
- Deutsche Welle is working on a tool that makes it easier to tell stories in virtual reality
- Tool for journalists: AutoEdit, to edit videos quicker using transcriptions