JupiterResearch's report, which focused on the US market, found: "Newspapers are now the number two advertising source for online consumers, but online newspaper classifieds are far behind, even among those who use print classifieds."
It warned that the market is vulnerable to upstart listings sites like Craigslist and Simply Hired, but that "it may be too late for newspapers to respond to the challenge from these different players".
Free daily newsletter
- Here's what new Guardian research tells us about commercial opportunities for podcasts
- Preparing for the "cookiepocalypse" with first-party data strategies
- Direct publishing: what you need to know about this new technology
- 'Platforms should pay for news' a peer committee says
- Solving the revenue maximisation problem for publishers