"The injuries were not fatal" are words often printed after a violent crime, such as a shooting or stabbing.
Often, news organisations leave the story there, but podcaster Amber Hunt says the injured person's story starts there.
Hunt's new podcast, Aftermath, features people who have survived gunshots, finding out how their lives have changed in the fallout.
In this weeks episode, we asked her about how she found her interviews and dealt with them sensitively, given that all of them are dealing with trauma after their experiences.
Free daily newsletter
- The Economist and Slate collaborate on The Secret History of the Future to share audiences and expertise
- Blockchain, vertical video and podcasting: Here is your weekly journalism news update
- The twists and turns of audio storytelling with Andy Mills
- Vogue International’s Sarah Marshall to keynote at Journalism.co.uk’s next Newsrewired conference
- Ellen Stewart, head of content at the world's most-read LGBT media platform, PinkNews, joins opening panel on Gen Z