"The injuries were not fatal" are words often printed after a violent crime, such as a shooting or stabbing.
Often, news organisations leave the story there, but podcaster Amber Hunt says the injured person's story starts there.
Hunt's new podcast, Aftermath, features people who have survived gunshots, finding out how their lives have changed in the fallout.
In this weeks episode, we asked her about how she found her interviews and dealt with them sensitively, given that all of them are dealing with trauma after their experiences.
Free daily newsletter
- Demystifying blockchain for journalists
- Christmas podcast: Journalism.co.uk looks back on their stand-out stories of 2018
- Tip: Launch and grow your news podcast
- How adopting a different business model can help future-proof news organisations
- Five lessons from the Guardian's membership strategy, three years on