"The injuries were not fatal" are words often printed after a violent crime, such as a shooting or stabbing.
Often, news organisations leave the story there, but podcaster Amber Hunt says the injured person's story starts there.
Hunt's new podcast, Aftermath, features people who have survived gunshots, finding out how their lives have changed in the fallout.
In this weeks episode, we asked her about how she found her interviews and dealt with them sensitively, given that all of them are dealing with trauma after their experiences.
Free daily newsletter
- Newsrewired to offer 40 virtual places to local journalists thanks to support from the Google News Initiative
- Tip: How to create a homemade vocal booth
- How to record remote podcast interviews using the 'Simul Rec' technique
- What makes a successful news and current affairs podcast?
- Jesse Thorn, voice of Bullseye and The Turnaround, on what makes a successful podcast host