"The injuries were not fatal" are words often printed after a violent crime, such as a shooting or stabbing.
Often, news organisations leave the story there, but podcaster Amber Hunt says the injured person's story starts there.
Hunt's new podcast, Aftermath, features people who have survived gunshots, finding out how their lives have changed in the fallout.
In this weeks episode, we asked her about how she found her interviews and dealt with them sensitively, given that all of them are dealing with trauma after their experiences.
Free daily newsletter
- Constructive journalism, email newsletters and VR: Here's your weekly journalism news update
- Catch up on newsrewired, our 22nd digital journalism conference
- Date for your diary: The next newsrewired event is on 7 November
- Theatre, newsrewired and Snapchat: Here's your weekly journalism news update
- 7 tips for securing funding from Google’s Digital News Initiative