"The injuries were not fatal" are words often printed after a violent crime, such as a shooting or stabbing.
Often, news organisations leave the story there, but podcaster Amber Hunt says the injured person's story starts there.
Hunt's new podcast, Aftermath, features people who have survived gunshots, finding out how their lives have changed in the fallout.
In this weeks episode, we asked her about how she found her interviews and dealt with them sensitively, given that all of them are dealing with trauma after their experiences.
Free daily newsletter
- 35 media podcasts that should be on every journalist's radar
- Newsrewired special: Your main takeaways from our digital journalism conference
- Tip: Start a podcast on your own for free
- Tip: Create a solutions journalism podcast
- ‘Your copy should read like a WhatsApp message’: How to create content for and with Gen Z