In this week's podcast, we speak to Katie Orchard, finalist of the 2019 Media Trust's Breaking Into News competition that aims to increase diversity in the newsrooms. Orchard tells her story of entering the journalism industry aged 31 as a single parent and a woman of colour, the obstacles she faced along the way but also her achievements.
Although she first struggled with self-confidence, her experience of working with vulnerable people taught her skills she would hardly gain had she joined the industry straight out of university.
Save the date: our Newsrewired conference takes place on 27 November at Reuters, London. Head to newsrewired.com for the full agenda and tickets
Free daily newsletter
- 'Brexit bump' or news avoidance? Here is how Brexit has affected the UK press
- Weekly journalism news update: education, audience engagement and expert sound design
- Educating young people on news deserts, misinformation and social exclusion in the media industry
- World News Day: Misinformation, mobile journalism and mental health
- What more can newsrooms do to tackle the issue of social mobility?