In this week's podcast, we speak to Katie Orchard, finalist of the 2019 Media Trust's Breaking Into News competition that aims to increase diversity in the newsrooms. Orchard tells her story of entering the journalism industry aged 31 as a single parent and a woman of colour, the obstacles she faced along the way but also her achievements.
Although she first struggled with self-confidence, her experience of working with vulnerable people taught her skills she would hardly gain had she joined the industry straight out of university.
Save the date: our Newsrewired conference takes place on 27 November at Reuters, London. Head to newsrewired.com for the full agenda and tickets
Free daily newsletter
- Weekly journalism news update: artificial intelligence, podcast ad revenue and 'audience canvas'
- Words By Women returns in protest of gender imbalance at the British Journalism Awards
- What to do before, during and after a live podcast event
- Daily news podcasts proving to be an attractive proposition for advertisers
- 'Less talk, more action': Why newsrooms must respond to the growing need of diverse representation