In this week's podcast, we speak to Katie Orchard, finalist of the 2019 Media Trust's Breaking Into News competition that aims to increase diversity in the newsrooms. Orchard tells her story of entering the journalism industry aged 31 as a single parent and a woman of colour, the obstacles she faced along the way but also her achievements.
Although she first struggled with self-confidence, her experience of working with vulnerable people taught her skills she would hardly gain had she joined the industry straight out of university.
Save the date: our Newsrewired conference takes place on 27 November at Reuters, London. Head to newsrewired.com for the full agenda and tickets
Free daily newsletter
- New campaign calls for a genuine commitment to diversify UK newsrooms
- Christmas special: what is your one hope or wish for the media industry in 2021?
- Hostwriter to create a virtual, cross-border newsroom to "unbias the news"
- Should journalists use social media to voice their opinions?
- Tip: A beginner's guide to creating podcast audiograms