An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- Ed Conway, economics editor at Sky News, on data and AR in the US election coverage
- "Mass customisation" of neighbourhood data can help hyperlocal news become more sustainable
- World News Day: seven stand-out pieces of journalism in 2020
- Five tips for making your internship application stand out
- Tip: Make covid-19 data more accessible to readers