An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- A journalist's guide to open-source tools
- The Economist uses sports coverage to grow its audience
- Newsrooms that do not personalise content are missing out on 'vital' opportunities to grow
- A guide to reporting on LGBTQ+ community
- Robot journalists revive hyperlocal communities left behind by declining regional media