An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- 10 portfolio and publishing platforms for freelancers
- Need to catch up? Here's your weekly journalism news update
- Getting used to the sound of your own voice: 4 tips for podcasting beginners
- Data journalists, unite! How data journalism is evolving in Brazil
- Data sharing is caring: BBC boosts local news output through its Shared Data Unit