An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- Local Democracy Reporters supply 850 regional titles with public interest stories
- Advice from ABC News: how to get started with satellite journalism
- Quartz AI Studio launches an open-source platform to help journalists use machine learning
- Is your news organisation new to Instagram Stories? Here is how to get started
- How Reuters uses robots to analyse data and humans to tell the stories