An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- Using artificial intelligence to grow audience engagement during breaking news
- Tip: Ten resources for data journalists
- Lessons from Culture Trip's content engagement strategy for addressing user needs
- Weekly journalism news update: design thinking, mobile journalism for local news and UK data units
- BBC Shared Data Unit inspires data journalism teams across the UK to collaborate on public interest stories