An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- 10 essential newsletters every journalist should read
- Tool for journalists: Outriders Network database, for discovering the best interactive storytelling projects
- The art of working with whistleblowers
- How international collaboration helps investigative journalists overcome challenges
- Asian news organisations bring the fight back to online threats and trolls