An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out these recommendations for collaborating on projects
- In the UK, data journalism and investigations are getting more local
- Tip: Open this data journalism advent calendar throughout December
- Tip: Check out these recommendations for improving your data visualisations
- 10 key principles for data-driven storytelling