An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018
- New automated tool at Reuters helps its 'cybernetic newsrooms' find stories in data
- Tip: How to get started with data journalism in a small newsroom
- Bureau Local announces fund to support local reporting from journalists and members of the public