An interactive element will not always make a story more interesting to readers or convey the importance of the topic discussed, but it can often be the reason why people spend more time reading, sharing and remembering that story.
So what defines a piece of interactive data journalism, where can this format provide value and how can you get started if you have no prior knowledge of coding or working with data?
This week's guests are:
Aleksandra Wisniewska, interactive data journalist, Financial Times
Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, The Wall Street Journal
Free daily newsletter
- Q&A: Lyndsey Jones, executive editor at the Financial Times on what you will need to succeed in the newsroom of the 2020
- Tool for journalists: Credder, for ranking credible and non-credible articles
- Tip: Set up a data unit in your newsroom
- Get ready for the newsroom of 2020
- Weekly journalism news update: citizen journalism, tackling misinformation and Google algorithms