Hashtag Our Stories, co-founded by husband and wife duo Yusuf and Sumaiya Omar, aims to encourage the creation of mobile storytelling communities around the world, enabling people to talk about the issues that don't make the mainstream news.
The team has travelled to 25 countries in the last four months, engaging with niche communities in India, Australia, Norway and Indonesia, to name a few. The idea is that anyone with a smartphone, journalist or not, can tell their story to the world using social media platforms such as Facebook and Snapchat.
Speaking at last week's Building the Future of Community Journalism conference in Cardiff, Yusuf Omar explained why he believes community journalism may be the future of news, and detailed the lessons they have learned over the past few months for anyone looking to start their own teams.
Free daily newsletter
- Mobile journalism news series 'Phoning It In' proves the art of storytelling does not require a $40,000 camera
- How Hashtag Our Stories is helping citizen journalists tell better stories
- Empowering the next generation at BBC Young Reporter
- How your news organisation can share Instagram Stories with a select audience
- Tip: Try these 9 types of mobile visual storytelling