Hashtag Our Stories, co-founded by husband and wife duo Yusuf and Sumaiya Omar, aims to encourage the creation of mobile storytelling communities around the world, enabling people to talk about the issues that don't make the mainstream news.
The team has travelled to 25 countries in the last four months, engaging with niche communities in India, Australia, Norway and Indonesia, to name a few. The idea is that anyone with a smartphone, journalist or not, can tell their story to the world using social media platforms such as Facebook and Snapchat.
Speaking at last week's Building the Future of Community Journalism conference in Cardiff, Yusuf Omar explained why he believes community journalism may be the future of news, and detailed the lessons they have learned over the past few months for anyone looking to start their own teams.
Free daily newsletter
- Newsroom diversity, storytelling and photography: Here is your weekly journalism news update
- 'Human connection is key': The importance of building trust in street portrait photography
- Open-source investigations, mobile journalism and Netflix: Here is your weekly journalism news update
- Tip: Improve your smartphone stories
- How to engage audiences for longer with multimedia storytelling