Hashtag Our Stories, co-founded by husband and wife duo Yusuf and Sumaiya Omar, aims to encourage the creation of mobile storytelling communities around the world, enabling people to talk about the issues that don't make the mainstream news.
The team has travelled to 25 countries in the last four months, engaging with niche communities in India, Australia, Norway and Indonesia, to name a few. The idea is that anyone with a smartphone, journalist or not, can tell their story to the world using social media platforms such as Facebook and Snapchat.
Speaking at last week's Building the Future of Community Journalism conference in Cardiff, Yusuf Omar explained why he believes community journalism may be the future of news, and detailed the lessons they have learned over the past few months for anyone looking to start their own teams.
Free daily newsletter
- No filter: The importance of light when you're taking photos with your smartphone
- App for journalists: Vlogit, for producing eye-catching social videos
- Engaged Journalism Accelerator launches with €600,000 grant programme
- The three pillars of mobile journalism: Q&A with Marc Settle, smartphone reporting trainer at the BBC
- Mobile journalism gives new freedom of expression