Hashtag Our Stories, co-founded by husband and wife duo Yusuf and Sumaiya Omar, aims to encourage the creation of mobile storytelling communities around the world, enabling people to talk about the issues that don't make the mainstream news.
The team has travelled to 25 countries in the last four months, engaging with niche communities in India, Australia, Norway and Indonesia, to name a few. The idea is that anyone with a smartphone, journalist or not, can tell their story to the world using social media platforms such as Facebook and Snapchat.
Speaking at last week's Building the Future of Community Journalism conference in Cardiff, Yusuf Omar explained why he believes community journalism may be the future of news, and detailed the lessons they have learned over the past few months for anyone looking to start their own teams.
Free daily newsletter
- Seattle's KUOW is hosting 'Ask A...' conversations to foster empathy and understanding between communities
- Tip: Check out these apps to enhance your mobile storytelling
- One day, 5 cities, 160 people: Inside the Bureau Local's investigation into local budgets
- Speakers from CNN and Reuters to share insights at newsrewired, 7 March
- How the Bureau Local collaborated with more than 160 people in five UK cities to investigate local budget proposals