If you have ever contemplated swapping your nine-to-five newsdesk job for the freedom of freelancing, you could have been put off by worries around securing enough work or making ends meet.
In this week's podcast, former head of video at Hello! magazine Victoria Hutton offers insight on how she became her own boss nine months ago and has made it work out since. She now works as a freelance videographer creating content and campaigns for brands, publishers and social media influencers.
What are the myths, perks and challenges around being responsible for your own income? Hutton sheds light on the groundwork that needs to be done before taking the plunge, the realities of chasing late payments and what university does not teach you about freelancing.
Do you want to become a successful freelancer? Learn new skills and get a certificate in freelance feature writing, pitching, copywriting, sub-editing and more. Click here for more information
Free daily newsletter
- Samantha Tomaszewski, social strategy leader, BuzzFeed, on career in social media audience engagement
- Tip: Four tips to start your career during the pandemic
- Three free online classes for journalism students this lockdown
- A beginner's guide to moving from written journalism to audio storytelling
- BBC's five tips to break into the technical side of the media industry