Social media has played an increasingly important role in how journalists find stories and sources for news.
But how can journalists make the most of these platforms and what other tools and techniques are emerging that journalists can use for newsgathering?
News reporter Alastair Reid discusses social networks, mobile messaging apps, user-generated content and wearable computing with:
- Eliot Higgins, the Syrian conflict and munitions blogger, Brown Moses
- Trushar Barot, assistant editor of the user-generated content and social media hub, BBC
- Malachy Browne, news editor, Storyful
Free daily newsletter
- BBC World Service journalists are using a tool called Stitch to speed up social video production
- Tool for journalists: Trends24, for monitoring popular topics on Twitter
- 10 format ideas for short-form audio storytelling
- How news organisations are starting to tackle the lack of diversity in sports journalism
- Tip: Where to find inspiration when you need story ideas