In this week's podcast, we speak to Oliya Fedun, one half of the ‘Scootercaster’ duo of stringers who shoot breaking news in New York.
"I mostly film major events: fires, shootings, anything that you'd see on the news," she said.
"It is nice to see that people appreciate me going out there and getting the footage and sharing what's happened – it makes it all worth it," she said.
Fedun talks to us about getting leads from her scanner radio, filming human tragedies and why it’s a good idea to own a bulletproof vest.
"The best way to develop a relationship with the media is to prove yourself, and show you're someone they need to pay attention to," she said.
"To do this job, it's important to be polite and be respectful of what they have to go through to be able to respond in time."
Free daily newsletter
- Tool for journalists: Pitchwhiz, for connecting freelancers with news organisations
- Tip: Check freelance fees before you pitch with "Who Pays Writers"
- 10 portfolio and publishing platforms for freelancers
- Tip: Use these tools to collect and showcase your work
- Advice for navigating the vital but vulnerable world of freelance journalism