BuzzFeed UK engaged millennials in the UK election with two Facebook Lives: 'Election Live.. What Happens Now?' and 'Election Live TL;DR… About Last Night'.
In this week's podcast, we speak to Andy Dangerfield, social media editor, BuzzFeed UK, who explains what editorial decisions his team had to make in the six weeks they had to plan their election night coverage.
With celebrity guests and live reaction polls, the analysis shows were like no other.
"It felt fresh, fun and irreverent – on TV, other broadcasters tended to rehash the things they've done before with previous election coverage, but ours was completely new and involved lots more engagement," Dangerfield said.
"The first thing millennials do when they wake up is grab their smartphones and have a look at their social feeds, and we wanted to be there when they woke up."
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: 4 approaches to make livestreams more interactive
- Journalism students from 13 universities collaborated to cover the UK election results
- NBC launches experimental video hub for audiences on social media
- CNN aims to engage both social media and TV audiences with its new political debate show
- Fresh, fun and irreverent: How BuzzFeed engaged millennials in the UK election with two Facebook Lives