The company, which manufactures DIY and professional paint brands, has secured the prestigious Sustainable Innovation Award at the BCF Awards, organised by the industry trade body The British Coatings Federation.
Judges gave the award for Crown Paint’s Earthbalance programme, which engages the whole company - and its supply chain – towards the considerable target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 10 per cent by 2015 – and 25 per cent by 2020. At the same Awards, held at Eastwood Hall, Nottingham, Crown Paints also secured the BCF Training Excellence title.
Achieving the BCF Sustainable Innovation Award is the latest success for the paint manufacturer’s Earthbalance programme. Already this year, Crown Paints has secured the Sustainable Large Business of the Year accolade in the Lancashire Business Environment Awards, run by environmental charity Groundwork Pennine Lancashire, as a result of programme’s achievements. The company is also shortlisted in the forthcoming national Sustainability Leaders Awards, within the carbon management category.
A spokesman from the judging panel at the BCF awards, said: "Earthbalance is not a single project but a major company initiative across a broad front with a portfolio of large and small activities.
"It has built steadily over a significant time, and shows good evidence that it is now embedded in the day to day working of the company and its suppliers.
"The judges can see that there has been a change in behaviour from the top to the bottom of the company and the reality of the ‘It’s not just paint, It’s personal’ strap-line is clearly evident in the employee and local community programmes."
Joe Devitt, Managing Director of Crown Paints, said: "This award is a great achievement for us all. Everyone has played a part in the success to date of Earthbalance, including staff at Crown’s manufacturing facility and headquarters at Darwen, Lancashire, as well as our Hull plant and our Crown Decorating Centres nationwide.
"The focus of our carbon revolution is not merely to apply environmental benefits to niche products, or compromise on the quality of products to achieve a sustainable outcome.
"Instead, we are changing the way we do business to achieve our targets, through an all-embracing, continuous process that requires the commitment and engagement with staff and the supply chain to succeed.
"We've achieved a great deal in fulfilling our sustainability objectives to date. We’ve set challenging targets, particularly in a period of global economic difficulty, but it hasn’t detracted or distracted from our goals."
At the heart of the Earthbalance programme has been the development of Crown Paints’ ‘portfolio footprinting’ tracker system, which measures the carbon footprint of every product the company makes, across the trade and retail brands.
Mark Lloyd, Crown Paints’ Sustainability Manager, said: "We have been the first paint manufacturer in the UK to launch this type of portfolio footprinting tracker system.
"Now, one year since its launch, we are using the information produced as a standard measure, from which we can evaluate and reduce our own greenhouse gas emissions, with the target of a 10 per cent reduction by 2015 – and 25 per cent by 2020.
"The targets are in addition to our sustainability target of zero waste to landfill, originally targeted for December 2012 – which was achieved more than 12 months ahead of schedule.
"Our work is being recognised across the industry, and we’ve been asked to share our findings with other business to help them achieve their green goals. It’s really rewarding to see Earthbalance come together and have such a positive impact on our company and other organisations nationwide."
See more about the BCF Awards at http://www.coatings.org.uk/crown-paints-entry-earthbalance.aspx
Notes to editors
About Crown Paints
• Crown Paints has been making paint for over 200 years.
• Crown Paints Limited is the Holder of the Royal Warrant by Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen, as Manufacturer of Paints.
• Over 1300 employees work for the company, which is based in Darwen in Lancashire, with manufacturing sites in Hull and Darwen, and distribution sites in Hull, Darwen and Dublin, operating to an ISO 9001 accredited quality management system.
• The company has a network of 133 Crown Decorating Centres throughout the UK and Ireland.
• Crown Paints serves every sector of the decorative coatings market, promoting its market-leading paint and woodcare brands – Crown Paints, Crown Trade, Sandtex, Sandtex Trade Sadolin, Macpherson and Berger – to consumer and professional audiences, as well as key export markets.
• Crown Paints is committed to delivering its sustainability targets and its work in this field has been recognised at several regional and national awards. The company is also able to measure the carbon footprint of all of its products and has met its targets of achieving zero waste to landfill.
• Crown Paints is owned by Hempel, a leader in the production and sales of protective coatings within the decorative, protective, marine, container and yacht market segments, employing over 5,000 people in more than 80 countries.
About The BCF
The British Coatings Federation is the representative body for the UK’s £2 billion-a-year paint, printing ink, powder coating and wallcovering manufacturing industries. The Federation has over 100 companies in membership.
Press release written by Jane Shepherd, Shepherd PR Limited, 01538 308685, 07985129315 email@example.com
- Contact Name:
- Jane Shepherd
- Shepherd PR
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- 01538 308685
- Company Website:
- More Details:
Related press releases
- Eating Out Figures Continue To Rise
- Five women set new record for rowing the Atlantic
- Source Marketing Direct: Are entrepreneurs easily distracted?
- Live Innovations reveals why creating an atmosphere of fun is the key to success
- Keep your stress levels under control with Concilio Solutions’ how to guide
- business / economics business / economics feed
- construction / property construction / property feed
- current affairs current affairs feed
- environment / conservation environment / conservation feed
- events / exhibitions events / exhibitions feed
- home / family / garden home / family / garden feed
- lifestyle lifestyle feed