A RECYCLING scheme, which offers a colourful boost to community projects, has won an environmental business award.
Crown Paints’ Kick Out The Can initiative was launched earlier this year in association with Climate Week 2013 in a bid to encourage the re-use of unwanted paint lurking in sheds, cupboards and garages across the nation.
Now the scheme, which has supported community projects throughout England and Wales, is to receive a gong at the Green Apple Awards for Environmental Best Practice 2013.
The awards ceremony, which will be held at the House of Commons on Monday, November 11, recognises companies, councils and communities which have pioneered measures to protect the environment.
Crown Paints’ Sustainability Manager, Mark Lloyd, said: "It has been an honour and a privilege to see the wonderful results achieved so far by our Kick Out The Can initiative.
"Now, to have that work recognised with a Green Apple award is fantastic. These are very prestigious awards, so being announced a winner is exciting for us as a company.
"Kick Out The Can saw 5,000 tins of surplus paint returned to our network of 119 Crown Decorating Centres across the country and we’d like to thank all those people who supported the scheme.
"Working with social enterprise Nimtech at our site in Darwen, Lancashire, the paint was reprocessed and then distributed to community projects.
"The unwanted paint has now helped to rejuvenate park benches, brighten up gardens, sheds and workshops at a number of community projects - and is even educating young people as part of a scheme offering building and construction skills while renovating abandoned properties.
"We’re looking forward to attending the ceremony at the House of Commons and congratulating the other organisations who, like us, care deeply about the environment."
The Green Apple awards began in 1994 and are organised by The Green Organisation, an environmental group dedicated to recognising, rewarding and promoting environmental best practice around the world.
This is the third accolade for Crown Paints this year for sustainable business. It has been named a UK national champion in the European Business Awards 2013/2014 and was also awarded Green Manufacturer of the Year earlier in the ‘Made In The North West’ awards. Crown also won its first Green Apple award, for its action to cut greenhouse gas emissions, in 2011.
About Crown Paints:
- Crown Paints is owned by Danish decorative and protective coatings company Hempel, who employ over 5,000 people and operate in more than 80 countries
- Crown Paints is the Holder of the Royal Warrant by Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen, as Manufacturers of Paints
- Over 1,250 employees work for Crown Paints, which is based in Darwen in Lancashire, with manufacturing sites in Darwen and Hull, which operate to ISO 9001 accredited quality management system and ISO 14001 environmental management system.
- The company also has a network of 133 Crown Decorating Centres spread throughout the UK and Ireland.
- Crown Paints serves every sector of the decorative coatings market, promoting its market-leading paint and woodcare brands – Crown, Sandtex, Permoglaze, Macpherson, Sadolin and Berger – to consumer and professional audiences alike, as well as key export markets.
- Crown Paints has been making paint for over 200 years.
- Crown Paints is committed to delivering its sustainability targets and its work in this field has been recognised at several regional and national awards. The company is also able to measure the carbon footprint of all of its products and has met its targets of achieving zero waste to landfill.
Press release prepared by Jane Shepherd, Shepherd PR Limited, 01335 368020, email email@example.com
- Contact Name:
- Jane Shepherd
- Shepherd PR
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- 01538 308685
Related press releases
- Bright Horizons secures RoSPA Gold Award for 5th consecutive year
- Bright Horizons recognised as one of UK’s Best Workplaces for 11th year
- Iconic Event Strategies travels to London to meet industry's rising stars
- 'Focus on building relationships on your entrepreneurial journey', claims Concilio Solutions
- Alpha Innova reveals how to survive the first year on entrepreneurship
- charity / voluntary sector charity / voluntary sector feed
- children / youth children / youth feed
- construction / property construction / property feed
- education / training education / training feed
- environment / conservation environment / conservation feed
- events / exhibitions events / exhibitions feed
- home / family / garden home / family / garden feed