Finding out about a country’s unique customs and beliefs are part of what makes a stint abroad so memorable. And while travellers may at times feel like a fish out of water, participating in the local habits is a great way of opening doors and making new friends.
Cultural customs often centre around how important events are conducted. During Scotland’s Burns Night, for example, a master of ceremonies will draw a knife while ‘addressing the haggis’ before stabbing it through the centre! Meanwhile, Madrilenos traditionally gobble grapes at midnight on New Year’s Eve in order to ensure good fortune for the coming year.
Many customs focus on etiquette and behaviour. Germans often say that failing to meet your drinking buddy’s eyes while toasting grants you seven years of bad sex. Meanwhile, to walk into a party in France without showering your guests with kisses is considered un grand faux pas.
City Travel Review’s creative gap projects take place in wide range of fascinating destinations, including Berlin, Madrid, Edinburgh, Lyon and Barcelona. As well as observing what it means to live like a local by writing a city travel guide about the city, programme participants get to study either French, German or Spanish while immersing themselves in the local ways of life.
Our programmes typically last anything from 2 weeks to 3 months and are suited for students, graduates, career breakers and anyone willing to immerse themselves in a unique travel experience. Graduates of our programmes always come away having learn new skills and made great friends – so don’t hesitate to check out our website – www.citytravelreview.co.uk or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Name:
- Jeremy Maki
- Project co-ordinator
- City Travel Review
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- 0044 131 208 2741
- Company Website:
Related press releases
- Another reason for British tennis’ number six to smile (thanks to his Invisalign treatment)
- TDWI BI Symposium, 7-9 September 2015, London
- Roger Michael will reboot his infamous night I AM ROCKSTAR TUESDAYS in association with Herve Leger and Boujis Lawn Tennis Club Season
- Oxford University Graduate launches world's first chivalrous dating website
- Dentists can now help more adults get straight teeth with revamped Straight Teeth Engine Academy Training Platform
- arts / entertainment arts / entertainment feed
- children / youth children / youth feed
- design / architecture design / architecture feed
- education / training education / training feed
- employment / industrial relations employment / industrial relations feed
- events / exhibitions events / exhibitions feed
- fashion / beauty fashion / beauty feed
- food / drink food / drink feed
- lifestyle lifestyle feed
- media / advertising / marketing media / advertising / marketing feed
- men's interest men's interest feed
- travel / tourism travel / tourism feed