According to retail sales monitor BRC, online sales of non-food products grew by 9% in June compared to sales from the same month in 2015. Although this was a much smaller level of growth compared to 2015 vs 2014 figures (17.6%), 2016 was in line with trends for the year so far, with the three months up to June showing 9.7% growth year-on-year.
However, the picture for UK retail as a whole wasn’t quite so rosy. In the same three-month period, store sales declined 2.2% on a like-for-like basis, when looking at the five-week period between May 29th – July 2nd, there was a 2.8% decline. The effects of Brexit were more acutely felt here – in the first week of June the number of shoppers had risen by 0.4% on the previous year, but the figure fell by 4.6% in the week of the EU referendum and by 3.4% on the previous year the week after the result.
So does the much healthier online performance show there is hope for British retail, even with an uncertain period looming? Shopping site My Favourite Voucher Codes has taken a closer look at how key UK retailers are attempting to bring in online customers to bolster this growth and counter an anticipated downturn in store footfall. With shops keen to build on sales where they can get them, where can customers secure the best deals with their favourite high street retailers this summer?
The UK department store giant has a long history of online sales success – its online 2015 Black Friday sales were up 20% on the previous year, and in the Christmas trading period, there was a 12% increase on 2014, with a peak of 36% in the week prior to Christmas.
This success has been put down to an increase in brands and improved online delivery service, and even though Debenhams has made moves to cut down its promotions to maximise profits, it is clear that the ones it does cherry-pick are still proving incredibly popular with online customers.
Their current selection of Debenhams promo codes covers key areas that have proved successful for them in the past (lingerie and womenswear) as well as seasonal deals…
20% off Jacques Vert purchases with a £300 minimum spend
20% off lingerie when 2 items or more are purchased
20% off school uniform and shoes (online only)
10% off skincare products
This premium UK retailer has experienced huge growth in the year up to the end of May 2016, with an 11.6% rise in UK sales on the previous year attributed to not only its 100 UK and Ireland stores but also a database of 2 million online customers.
When it comes current Joules discount codes for online only deals and discounts, it is clear exactly how important these online customers are to the continued success of the company’s growth…
20% off all bedding orders
£10 off with a minimum £40 spend
Up to 50% off in the Joules online sale
A stalwart of the UK high street, this retailer may have a traditional image, but it continues to make significant waves with its internet trade. In year up to March 2016 its online sales passed the £50 million mark with a 5.3% increase on the same period in the previous year. So what additional deals is Laura Ashley offering these online customers to make sure figures don’t fall? Their current selection of Laura Ashley voucher codes show efforts are being made to satisfy both loyal Laura Ashley shoppers and new customers…
Up to 50% off in the Home Sale plus an extra 10% off sale purchases
Up to 60% off in the Fashion Sale plus an extra 10% off sale purchases
Up to 70% off seasonal fashions
10% off for new customers
Where Can Customers Find Better Online Prices?
This increase in online shopping sales could grow to an even greater extent if regular online customers discover new ways of securing better prices in the long term. Retailers are already making greater use of resources to attract new customers, so where can shoppers find them?
- When shopping for a particular product or brand, online shoppers should not only compare prices and deals from different sites, but also take into account current promotional codes and discount vouchers. With many stores now offering additional savings on top of sale prices (as with current Laura Ashley voucher codes), some of the best prices might not be quite so obvious.
- Eagle-eyed shoppers should be on the lookout for flash-sales. As well as checking in regularly with their favourite retailers or discount sites, they should also be signing up to newsletters and following social media accounts for the latest sale updates.
- Although it’s tempting to stay with favourites, many online sites now offer first time customer voucher codes as an incentive to shop elsewhere. These are typically a 5, 10 or 15% discount so are worth considering when planning a larger order to maximise savings.
- Starting online Christmas shopping early has many benefits, and not just when it comes to spreading costs. As soon as the summer is over, many retailers offer extra Christmas discounts and incentives, with Black Friday not only a key UK trading period but also a key opportunity for customer savings.
My Favourite Voucher Codes strives to find the very latest online deals so customers can secure the best prices possible on a wide range of fashion, footwear, travel, homeware and beauty purchases. Not only has My Favourite Voucher become a key source of discounts for online shoppers, but since its inception it has also raised nearly £50k for a wider selection of charitable causes. With its policy of giving 20% of profits to a different charity every month, site users can vote for the recipients in their monthly charity polls as well as nominating favourite charities to benefit from the scheme.
For more information on My Favourite Voucher Codes, their discounts and their work with charitable organisations, please contact email@example.com
- Contact Name:
- Julian House
- Managing Director
- Futureproof Digital Media Ltd
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone: