But, is there a "right" answer or a "best" book? As long as the curriculum is of decent quality as far as the mathematical content, the teacher is actually a more important part of a child's maths education than the book.
Even if a certain mathematics book is not the best fit for a particular child or student, a good teacher can make the book work by supplementing it with other materials, maybe adjusting the pace, skipping some exercises, jumping back and forth in the book, being excited about the concepts, drawing pictures, letting the child colour things in the book etc.
However, if one wants to adopt a standard approach, they need to know what their child grade level is. Their child's maths level will depend on their skills; therefore, the maths curriculum they choose to create will closely follow what their child needs to learn. Assessment tests are a great way to determine the level of maths curriculum their home school student needs.
Nobody should become a strict follower to the curriculum. The book is just a tool for teaching. Filling the book is not the purpose or goal of mathematics education. There are many other tools and ways to teach, too, such as games, explorations, projects
There are many different styles of home education and everyone is free to use the method which is right for them and their child. There are many organizations that put out excellent maths home schooling resources for the home schooling family.
For more information, visit Oxford Home School Learning at
- Contact Name:
- Jerry Crosby
- Web Optimiser
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- 020 7953 8412
Related press releases
- Class of 2015 graduates have 16% more jobs to choose from than last year
- Opace reveals why infographics should be a core internet marketing strategy for businesses in 2015
- Hard coatings specialist helps motorsport students find the right friction formula for braking
- Want to succeed as a leader? Avoid these common mistakes, urges Atlas Outsourcing
- Sigma Six evidenzia l’importanza di divertirsi al lavoro con laboratori giornalieri