In order to help them succeed, the team turned to the best practice method called Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®).
The flexibility offered by MSP was vital in allowing the game organisers to adapt to changing economic and political situations throughout the programme. The world in 2012 was a lot different to the time a few years’ earlier, when the original bid had been chosen.
A ‘one size fits all’, bureaucratic approach simply would not have succeeded, something far more pragmatic was required, and that is where MSP proved so appropriate.
pearcemayfield Chairman, Patrick Mayfield, was one of the authors of MSP. He says that it is the fact that the method is principle-centred that makes it so adaptable: "We designed MSP around seven key universal principles that can apply to any programme, no matter how simple or how complex it might be."
It is the use of these principles that is the hallmark of good, effective programme management and the London 2012 team really took that on board. Some of the ‘top tips’ that they would recommend include:
- Engaging stakeholders to encourage good levels of participation
- Relationships really matter in programmes, so communicate strongly
- Understand that programmes should have a real focus on transition and integration, so build that in
- Create something that is seen to add value
Patrick Mayfield comments: "Each one of these tips is directly related to one or more of the MSP Principles and that is extremely encouraging to see them used so successfully on such a high profile programme."
As an accredited training organisation in MSP, pearcemayfield are keen for other organisations to understand the benefit of this programme approach.
For further information on the range of creative and innovative MSP training solutions from Pearcemayfield, visit www.pearcemayfield.com
Pearcemayfield is a specialist in project, programme and change management, providing outstanding learning, professional development and support services experiences for clients, to help them manage change more effectively. The company is UK-based, but operates globally.
Pearcemayfield is a fully accredited PRINCE2®, MSP™, P3O®, and Change Management Training Organisation through the APM Group.
MSP, PRINCE2 and P3O are registered trade marks of the Cabinet Office.
- Pearce Mayfield
- Contact Phone:
- +44 (0)1235 227 252
Related press releases
- Pro UK Consultants reveals everything you need to know about entrepreneurial mindset
- Mazonai Reveal the 2016 Recipe for Success
- Business owners gather in Dublin for leadership seminar hosted by entrepreneur Josh Cote
- Edinburgh Leadership Seminar hosted by Josh Cote motivates UK’s leading entrepreneurs
- Heat Treatment and Hard Coatings Services: The Wallwork Group at MACH 2016, NEC, Stand 4685B