As children go back to school, naturopath and nutritional therapist Caroline Peyton has some tips about healthy lunchboxes for students (and their parents).
"During lockdown, many of us got out of the habit of making lunchboxes and some of us have been eating very unhealthily for a whole range of reasons, not least because initially there was a rush on supermarkets and panic buying.
"Now children are starting to go back to school and parents back to work, it's a good time to think about quick and easy solutions when it comes to the lunchbox.
"With all these suggested dishes it is important to consider plenty of protein to help keep your child full and able to concentrate through the afternoon.
"At the same time, choosing wholegrains not refined (white) and adding vegetables helps to provide fibre and keep blood sugar stable. This also helps to keep children focused, calm and energised through the day."
Her top five tips are:
- For a slightly older child hot soup in a flask is a welcome lunch during the colder months. Consider a lentil soup or a vegetable soup with added mixed beans.
- Wholemeal pasta with tuna, sweetcorn and a tomato sauce (look for lower sugar versions). This can be cooked for two consecutive days and kept in the fridge. Children love this cold. Look for wheat-free pasta versions like chickpea or lentil too.
- Wholemeal pitta bread with a little cream cheese, chicken slices, tinned salmon, tofu (vegan) or hard-boiled egg and cucumber or other salad.
- Oat or sweet potato wraps with a variety of fillings like above.
- Frittata is an Italian-style egg dish cooked with potatoes, cheese, herbs, tomatoes and any vegetables you have to hand. This is commonly served cold and makes a very nutritious and filling lunch.
Caroline is an established and leading naturopath and nutritional therapist with physical clinics in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire and offered virtual support across the world. This year she celebrated her 10th business anniversary.
- Contact Name:
- Fiona Scott
- Fiona Scott Media Consultanccy
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- 07789 270030
- Company Website:
- More Details:
- children / youth children / youth feed
- consumer goods consumer goods feed
- consumer affairs / relations consumer affairs / relations feed
- education / training education / training feed
- food / drink food / drink feed
- health / medical / fitness health / medical / fitness feed
- home / family / garden home / family / garden feed
- lifestyle lifestyle feed
- media / advertising / marketing media / advertising / marketing feed
- men's interest men's interest feed
- retail trade retail trade feed
- women's interest women's interest feed