A recent survey commissioned by leading culinary arts school, Le Cordon Bleu London, has found that 52% of British residents dream of changing a hobby into a career
- 41% of all GB workers are concerned they lack the necessary skill set to change careers. A further 31% feel they may be underqualified to change jobs.
- Half (52%) of people surveyed would like to turn their hobby into their career
- 52% said that finance would be the biggest barrier to changing career
- People in Wales (64%) and the East (63%) felt most strongly that they would need retraining in order to pursue their dream job
- 56% of Londoners who regret their career choice said they would consider a career change
It has been said that if you ‘choose a job you love, you will never work a day in your life’ and a recent survey commissioned by leading culinary arts school, Le Cordon Bleu London, has proven that this is exactly what a substantial number of people in the UK aspire to. Over 60% of respondents in the YouGov survey said that they long to change career, but are held back by financial concerns, fear of making a bad decision, or not being sufficiently qualified.
Chef Emil Minev, culinary arts director at Le Cordon Bleu London commented;
“As an international culinary institution, we welcome thousands of students each year, many of whom are seeking a complete change of career. Nowadays, people feel that real success can be achieved by following your dreams – the Julia Child Scholarship aims to provide this opportunity and honours one of our most celebrated alumni, who took the brave step of changing her career path in the 1940’s.”
The survey results come as Le Cordon Bleu London announce the launch of the Julia Child Scholarship by Le Cordon Bleu, together with renowned Chef Monica Galetti, offering one UK resident the opportunity to pursue their true passion. The prize, worth well in excess of £45,000 will provide the winner with a place on the coveted Le Cordon Bleu Grand Diplôme®, an internship at Mere Restaurant under the guidance of Monica Galetti, as well as accommodation provided by luxury agency, Londonist. In addition to all of this, Le Cordon Bleu London have coordinated one-to-one mentorship sessions with a number of their most esteemed alumni including MasterChef The Professionals Quarter Finalist, Luciana Berry; Executive Chef at Renaissance St Pancras, Adam Ashe; Former Pastry Chef at The Fat Duck, Hideko Kawa; and Chef Patron of Bala Baya, Eran Tibi. In its entirety, this once in a lifetime prize aims to provide the successful candidate with a holistic view of the culinary / hospitality industry, to support them in their career change.
Monica Galetti, patron chef of Mere Restaurant commented;
"I feel very honoured that I have been asked to be Chef Partner for this year's Julia Child Scholarship by Le Cordon Bleu. The Scholarship offers fantastic support and opportunity for young and talented individuals in a tough industry, and I am very much looking forward to getting involved"
Anna Bonisoli Alquati, Head of Client Management and Marketing at Londonist said;
“We are very proud to be part of this influential scholarship project with Le Cordon Bleu. In fact, we share the same company values: quality, dedication and great competence. We thank Le Cordon Bleu for believing in us and we look forward to our collaboration.”
Bill Dawes, Area Manager at Reed Hospitality & Leisure added;
"At Reed Hospitality & Leisure, we often come across people who want to change their career path. We know this is never easy, which is why we're delighted to support Le Cordon Bleu in offering one lucky individual the chance to pursue their dreams."
Applicants are invited to apply by completing the online application form at cordonbleu.edu/london/julia-child-scholarship/
Applications will close at midnight on the 18th April. The Final will take place on 6th June 2018.
Notes to editor
For more information, please contact Gillian Wright at Le Cordon Bleu London,
on firstname.lastname@example.org at +44 (0)20 7400 3900
About Le Cordon Bleu
Le Cordon Bleu is the prestigious network of institutions dedicated to excellence in culinary training and entrepreneurial hospitality management. It has been managed by Mr. André Cointreau since 1984, and now has more than 35 schools in over 20 countries worldwide, annually training over 20,000 students. Le Cordon Bleu graduates have excellent prospects in the hospitality industry, which is the fifth largest employer in the UK, directly employing 2.4 million people and contributing £46 billion to the UK economy.
- The winner of the Le Cordon Bleu Julia Child Scholarship will gain an internship with Monica Galetti at Mere Restaurant. Together with her husband, David Galetti, esteemed Chef and Masterchef Judge, Monica Galetti has recently opened her first restaurant, Mere on Charlotte Street in Central London. https://www.mere-restaurant.com/
- The winner will receive one to one mentorship under the guidance of four Le Cordon Bleu alumni including MasterChef The Professionals Quarter Finalist, Luciana Berry; Head Chef at Renaissance St Pancras, Adam Ashe; Former Pastry Chef at The Fat Duck, Hideko Kawa; and Chef Patron of Bala Baya, Eran Tibi
- Award prize will be 12 months, which will begin in September 2018.
- Visit: https://www.cordonbleu.edu/london/julia-child-scholarship/en
About The Partners
JULIA CHILD is one of Le Cordon Bleu’s most esteemed alumni, who famously changed career becoming a true pioneer of French food and home cooking. Over her more than fifty-year career as a cooking teacher, author and advocate, she became a beloved culinary icon. The Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy and the Culinary Arts was created by Julia in 1995 and became operational in 2004. Its mission is to honour and further Julia’s legacy, which centres on the importance of understanding where food comes from, what makes for good food, and the value of cooking. To learn more about Julia Child’s life and body of work, please visit http://juliachildfoundation.org/
REED is the biggest family run recruitment business in the world. We have the UK's largest candidate database, expertise in 20 specialist sectors and offer the longest guarantees in the market. Reed Hospitality & Leisure provides a flexible and ready-to-go workforce for your hospitality and facilities requirements. https://www.reedglobal.com/
LONDONIST Student Accommodation are sponsoring one room for the winner of the Scholarship Award for 12 months. Londonist DMC is the UK’s leading destination management centre company, offering the widest choice of tailor made services in every area of London as well as other cities in the UK. They can provide both short term and long-term accommodations, from 2 weeks up until 24, 36, 43 and 51 weeks. For more information about Londonist, please see: https://londonist.co.uk/
MONICA GALETTI together with her husband David Galetti launched Le Gavroche des Tropiques in Mauritius where she worked as Head Chef for 1 year before returning to London. She became a household name in 2009 when she joined the team on MasterChef: The Professionals as a judge. Previously she held the position of Senior Sous Chef at Le Gavroche, before leaving in 2015 to pursue her venture. She opened her first restaurant, Mere, in 2017 alongside her sommelier husband David Galetti.
About The Survey
- All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2092 adults, of which 154 were from London. Fieldwork was undertaken between 29th - 30th January 2018. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).
- All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 760 adults, of which 82 were from Bristol, 129 were from Manchester, 195 were from Edinburgh and 65 were from Cardiff. Fieldwork was undertaken between 29th January - 6th February 2018. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all adults in each city (aged 18+).
- Contact Name:
- Gillian Wright
- Le Cordon Bleu London
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- Company Website: