Prince Michael of Liechtenstein, President of the liberal think tank the European Centre of Austrian Economics Foundation (ECAEF), writes in the World Review website about the major challenges facing Europe.
"In an international context Europe is no longer an economic giant and has failed to find a proper way to protect its global interests," he says.
"Unfortunately, instead of following the same path and concentrating on supporting the four freedoms - people, goods, services and capital – with a coordinated foreign policy and a common policy on security and defence, the present crisis is being used to introduce a much stronger centralised control of fiscal, financial and economic matters.
Prince Michael also lays out the major challenges in the European economy, politics, energy and defence. On the UK, he writes: "Britain is positioning itself more and more on the periphery of the European Union.
"UK Prime Minister David Cameron has a double problem. He has to consider the widely divergent internal opinions at home and he faces profound disagreements with continental European partners in a number of aspects. However, we have to bear in mind that most problems are not issues of the union but home-made problems of national states."
This report is published ahead of UK Prime Minister David Cameron’s speech on Europe in The Netherlands on Friday 18th January.
- Contact Name:
- Sian Claire Owen
- Geopolitical Information Services AG
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- +44 (0)7962383019
- Company Website:
Related press releases
- Are you ready to take on entrepreneurship full time? Asks Jessie Hughes of Altitude Acquisitions
- Risk of a one-billion dollar claim
- Iconic Event Strategies travels to London to meet industry's rising stars
- 'Focus on building relationships on your entrepreneurial journey', claims Concilio Solutions
- Alpha Innova reveals how to survive the first year on entrepreneurship