Know as an SGE (small gasoline engine), the engine is the first in a new family of three and four-cylinder petrol engines up to 1.6-litres to be fitted to new Vauxhalls.
The engine will debut next year in Vauxhall's ADAM city car, along with an all-new six-speed gearbox.
According a one leading industry figure, Vauxhall's development of new engines and accompanying components is great for the trade in Vauxhall parts.
"Having a raft of new engines and accompanying parts that will eventually come onto on the spares market is great news," said Alex Khan, of 247spares.co.uk.
"New components for new car launches means existing parts for existing models become more cost-effective. When buying a new car, consumers increasingly look out for the cost and sourcing or parts over the vehicle's lifetime. With more Vauxhall parts on the spares market it makes their choice purchasing choices easier."
The launch of this new engine is the latest step in Vauxhall's renewal of its powertrain portfolio - the group of components that create power and then deliver that to the road surface.
Vauxhall intends to launch three new engine families with 13 new engines and accompanying set of transmission by 2016 to meet consumer demands for ‘downsized’ engines that are able to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions while maintaining power.
"Consumers are increasingly aware of the impact of running a car. It's great that brands like Vauxhall are responding with engines that reduce the impact on the environmental while maintaining good power," added Khan.
"It's good for consumers to know that this is a long-term project so when they buy these cars they also have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that the when time comes for them to buy spares, the range and supply of parts is likely to be broad and cost-effective."
Vauxhall's powertrain project started last year with the launch of a mid-sized 1.6-litre turbo petrol and diesel engine. All the new engines will be built at General Motor's new Szentgotthard plant in Hungary.
Notes to Editors:
1. The 247spares.co.uk network is a real-time car parts trading network for the public and auto trade professionals
2. The 247spares.co.uk was formed in 1999. It now has more than 180 locations joined to the network across the UK
3. The 247spares.co.uk network can now call on more than 9m spare parts from its UK inventory as such it's one of the UK's largest and fastest growing parts networks.
- Contact Name:
- Alex Khan
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
Related press releases
- Winner Casino expands game collection and improves mobile app
- The Irish Economy surge in 2014 revealed as fastest in the EU leaves Zenith ideas thrilled
- BellaVista Promotions: 10 sales mistakes you must avoid
- Brandlective Communications reveals ways to prevent complaints with social media
- Global Smart Factory Software – FORCE – Launched by Forcam at Hannover Messe April 13-17, Hall 7 Stand A11