In an ideal world, every piece of journalistic writing would be compelling, sharp and immersive. But in reality, it is all too easy to churn out templated stories that get hardly read past the first paragraph.
Cottrell sifts through hundreds of articles a day to whittle the stack down to just five handpicked pieces for his newsletter subscribers. This split-second decision-making is only possible thanks to his deep knowledge of what makes an article stick out, seize a reader’s attention and have real staying power.
Free daily newsletter
- Mental Health Awareness Week: the warning signs of burnout in editors
- Tip: Write attention-grabbing headlines
- How Refinery29 are moving 'off the grid', driving innovation through an audience-first approach
- Tip: Speed up your workflow with the ultimate cheatsheet for Wordpress keyboard shortcuts
- The Telegraph rolls out new 'authored analysis' strategy for editorial newsletters