It's not only larger newsrooms who can tackle investigations or complex editorial projects. With the right mindset, planning and careful investment of resources, smaller organisations can do it too.
Trainer and author Jim Pumarlo outlines eight key points worth focusing on in this article from Inland Press Association. He advises starting a discussion early with all teams and departments who could be involved in the project, as they can bring their ideas to the table to shape the concept.
Make sure to include your readers in the process too, and take note of what went right and what could be improved next time you work on a similar project.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to get the most out of your smartphone camera when taking pictures at night
- Tip: How to prevent female reporters from becoming targets of abuse on social media
- Tip: 3 ways to make your headlines stand out on social media
- Tip: Remember this guide for investigative web research
- Tip: Check out this advice for reporting on Islam in Europe and US