It's not only larger newsrooms who can tackle investigations or complex editorial projects. With the right mindset, planning and careful investment of resources, smaller organisations can do it too.
Trainer and author Jim Pumarlo outlines eight key points worth focusing on in this article from Inland Press Association. He advises starting a discussion early with all teams and departments who could be involved in the project, as they can bring their ideas to the table to shape the concept.
Make sure to include your readers in the process too, and take note of what went right and what could be improved next time you work on a similar project.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to stay safe when covering elections and civil unrest
- Tip: 5 key aspects of video production to share with your newsroom
- Tip: How freelancers can collect late payments
- Tip: Check out these recommendations for collaborating on projects
- Tip: Advice for transitioning from print to audio reporting