Calls for better representation of women voices in the news media are growing louder, but the industry still has a long way to go.
In this article by Simone Flueckiger at World News Publishing Focus, news organisations are given a list of advice from this year's World News Media Congress in Estoril, Portugal, to help them tackle gender imbalance in the news media.
Advice includes keeping on track of your data to ensure you are able to fix any imbalances, and remembering transparency is key.
"Once the numbers have been collected, sharing them with the entire organisation instead of keeping them at the top level is key to bringing the issue on everyone’s radar," said Flueckiger, explaining that by sharing the problem, the challenge of fixing it is shared.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Starting your undergraduate journalism degree? Take note of this advice
- Tip: How to get your freelance career off to the best start
- Tip: Just starting out? Take note of this advice for the basics of writing good content
- Tip: Check out this advice for working with restricted access
- Tip: How freelancers can build rapport with an editor