Mayer highlights two examples to follow by WITF News and Jefferson City News Tribune, who include details about their fairness goals within controversial stories.
"Anticipate when your audience might accuse you of giving unequal weight to competing perspectives and attach language to the actual story that communicates that you strive for fairness and welcome feedback," she wrote.
Free daily newsletter
- Google rolls out algorithm changes to reward news organisations for original reporting
- How can public service media remain relevant in a digital landscape?
- Just how effective is YouTube's new fact-checking feature?
- Tip: Get to grips with cross-border collaborative journalism
- Tip: Catch up with top trends in content marketing