Interactives and infographics are not the only formats that lend themselves to storytelling where data is core – video can also be a great way to get this type of information across to the audience.
Paul Bradshaw, course director of the MA in Multiplatform and Mobile Journalism at Birmingham City University, has complied a list of over 27 examples where journalists have been a little more creative in their use of data, all of which can be replicated in your newsroom.
For example, talking-head interviews with experts and presenter-led analysis can help explain more in-depth findings, while using metaphors that are relatable to the audience helps get the idea across to more people.
Want to get started in data journalism? Check out our interview with data journalist George Arnett here.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: 5 key aspects of video production to share with your newsroom
- In the UK, data journalism and investigations are getting more local
- Tip: Open this data journalism advent calendar throughout December
- Tip: Check out these recommendations for improving your data visualisations
- 10 key principles for data-driven storytelling