Pitching is something we cover often on the Journalism.co.uk website, as you can see here, here, and here, however depending on your specialism, the format and the publication, there may be some extra elements to include in your initial email to an editor other than the core information usually required from a pitch.
In this IJNet article, contributor Clothilde Goujard provides eight pitching tips for photojournalists, crowdsourced from interviews with photo-editors and photojournalists themselves.
The article points out that like with any reporting, photojournalists' technical skills are still second to the characters and stories they are focusing on in their visual story, and that they should consider partnering with writers to increase their chances of getting their idea commissioned.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018
- Tip: Bookmark these ways to be diverse and inclusive in your reporting
- Tip: How to get started with data journalism in a small newsroom
- Tip: Check out this budgeting advice for freelance journalists