Facebook reported hitting eight billion video views per day, prompting news organisations to constantly try new ways to create engaging short-form content that works well on mobile devices.
Randy Abramson, director of audio and video, Office of Digital and Design Innovation, has compiled a selection of videos from around the web in which publishers have used different techniques to capture the attention of their audience.
He has described why each of them is eye-catching, and what other news organisations looking to improve their video content can learn from each example.
Using facts, figures and tweets, asking questions to get attention, and showing something amazing immediately are just a few of the tips in his article.
Free daily newsletter
- 'Everything is a red flag': The challenges of the new media movement in Syria
- New initiative Finding Common Ground offers funding for newsrooms to expand existing engagement projects
- Tip: Remember these pointers before setting up a Facebook group
- BBC Ideas aims to inform and entertain audiences with short factual videos
- Spaceship Media is using 'dialogue journalism' to enable productive conversations between communities at odds