Facebook reported hitting eight billion video views per day, prompting news organisations to constantly try new ways to create engaging short-form content that works well on mobile devices.
Randy Abramson, director of audio and video, Office of Digital and Design Innovation, has compiled a selection of videos from around the web in which publishers have used different techniques to capture the attention of their audience.
He has described why each of them is eye-catching, and what other news organisations looking to improve their video content can learn from each example.
Using facts, figures and tweets, asking questions to get attention, and showing something amazing immediately are just a few of the tips in his article.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this Facebook group connecting freelancers with celebrities and publicists
- Tool for journalists: Trends24, for monitoring popular topics on Twitter
- Tip: Remember this advice for creating more engaging Instagram posts
- Tip: How to use social media analytics to find new angles on stories
- 'We are in an information war' – How journalists can begin to tackle the misinformation ecosystem