Many journalists now source tips, photos or videos from social media, and in breaking news situations, eyewitnesses often capture footage from the scene and post in online.
But how can news organisations connect with these eyewitnesses and get permission to use their photos, and what other challenges do journalists encounter when working with sources on social media?
To help reporters approach social media newsgathering in a more ethical way, the First Draft Coalition recently published a white paper bringing together research of newsroom practices for reaching out to sources online, offering advice and guidance. Remember these tips when you need to crowdsource material online.
Free daily newsletter
- Reuters Institute's Digital News Report finds a decline in social media usage for news for the first time in seven years
- 'This is about the death of the newsfeed': Stories may soon become the core of social media
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth