Many journalists now source tips, photos or videos from social media, and in breaking news situations, eyewitnesses often capture footage from the scene and post in online.
But how can news organisations connect with these eyewitnesses and get permission to use their photos, and what other challenges do journalists encounter when working with sources on social media?
To help reporters approach social media newsgathering in a more ethical way, the First Draft Coalition recently published a white paper bringing together research of newsroom practices for reaching out to sources online, offering advice and guidance. Remember these tips when you need to crowdsource material online.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Use this guide to get started as a freelancer abroad
- Tip: Remember this advice for submitting FOI requests
- Tip: Check out these 8 opportunities for journalists to apply for at the beginning of 2018
- Tip: Here's how to get started with data journalism
- Tip: Bookmark these pitching recommendations for photojournalists