But there are many mobile and web apps around to choose from, and using more than the essentials can end up adding to your workload - how many news aggregators can you really keep up with every day?
To help you pick a handful of apps you really need, USC Annenberg professor Robert Hernandez put together a list of 16 apps to help with anything from staying organised to transcribing interviews or producing video.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Here's how to use ScribbleLive to cover live events
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for rounding off numbers in articles
- Tip: Here's how to convey your message effectively in broadcast interviews
- 3 things fact-checking Brexit taught me about journalism
- Tip: Remember this coping advice for journalists covering tough stories