But there are many mobile and web apps around to choose from, and using more than the essentials can end up adding to your workload - how many news aggregators can you really keep up with every day?
To help you pick a handful of apps you really need, USC Annenberg professor Robert Hernandez put together a list of 16 apps to help with anything from staying organised to transcribing interviews or producing video.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this advice for getting started with 360-degree video
- Tip: Remember these pointers for building communities using Facebook groups
- Tip: Recommendations for working with inconsistent data
- Tip: Advice for making events a part of your newsroom's engagement strategy
- Tip: How to tell stories using small data sets