But there are many mobile and web apps around to choose from, and using more than the essentials can end up adding to your workload - how many news aggregators can you really keep up with every day?
To help you pick a handful of apps you really need, USC Annenberg professor Robert Hernandez put together a list of 16 apps to help with anything from staying organised to transcribing interviews or producing video.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Learn how to restrict your internet access to focus on writing
- Tip: Follow these 10 steps when fact-checking a politician's claims
- Tip: Try out these tools to help you write and edit your stories
- Tip: Remember these pointers for taking pictures that do your stories justice
- Tip: Bookmark this list of data journalism resources from NICAR