But there are many mobile and web apps around to choose from, and using more than the essentials can end up adding to your workload - how many news aggregators can you really keep up with every day?
To help you pick a handful of apps you really need, USC Annenberg professor Robert Hernandez put together a list of 16 apps to help with anything from staying organised to transcribing interviews or producing video.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark this list of newsletters to keep up with changes in the media industry
- Tip: What to expect the moments after your tweet goes viral
- Tip: Check out this advice from journalists sharing their biggest mistakes
- Tip: Posting to Instagram? Make your captions count with these recommendations
- Tip: Advice for incorporating data skills into a journalism curriculum