But there are also third party apps out there that can help along the way, from recording the last few seconds of conversation that happened before you even pressed the record button to broadcasting live on the web.
So how can you pick the perfect one? Gurpreet Mann, MA online journalism student at Birmingham City University, reviewed nine audio apps to check out their functionality and user experience.
Have a look at the list here and test some of the apps yourself – you might find a new addition to your reporting toolkit.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark this resource for getting started as a reporter in a new country
- Tip: Check out these coding tutorials for journalists
- Tip: Bookmark this guide for contacting sources on social media
- Tip: Check out these bookmarking tools
- 'Pause, pace, pattern, register': The power of words in radio storytelling