But there are also third party apps out there that can help along the way, from recording the last few seconds of conversation that happened before you even pressed the record button to broadcasting live on the web.
So how can you pick the perfect one? Gurpreet Mann, MA online journalism student at Birmingham City University, reviewed nine audio apps to check out their functionality and user experience.
Have a look at the list here and test some of the apps yourself – you might find a new addition to your reporting toolkit.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Remember this copyright advice for social media newsgathering
- How spatial audio can make your 360-degree videos more immersive
- Be flexible and don't sensationalise: Advice for reporting on violence against women
- Tip: Up your newsroom's video output with these format ideas
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for using 360-degree video in stories