But there are also third party apps out there that can help along the way, from recording the last few seconds of conversation that happened before you even pressed the record button to broadcasting live on the web.
So how can you pick the perfect one? Gurpreet Mann, MA online journalism student at Birmingham City University, reviewed nine audio apps to check out their functionality and user experience.
Have a look at the list here and test some of the apps yourself – you might find a new addition to your reporting toolkit.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark this list of resources to help you cover the US Election
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for helping journalists cover tragedies
- Tip: Here's how highlighting your archives can help improve your metrics
- Podcasts, eyewitness media and new models in digital publishing: Highlights from newsrewired
- 5 iOS apps for adding subtitles to your social media news packages