But there are also third party apps out there that can help along the way, from recording the last few seconds of conversation that happened before you even pressed the record button to broadcasting live on the web.
So how can you pick the perfect one? Gurpreet Mann, MA online journalism student at Birmingham City University, reviewed nine audio apps to check out their functionality and user experience.
Have a look at the list here and test some of the apps yourself – you might find a new addition to your reporting toolkit.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: 18 ways to make data visualisations more mobile-friendly
- Tip: Check out this Facebook group connecting freelancers with celebrities and publicists
- Tip: Remember this advice for creating more engaging Instagram posts
- Tip: How to use social media analytics to find new angles on stories
- Tip: Check out this advice for reporting on terrorist attacks