But there are also third party apps out there that can help along the way, from recording the last few seconds of conversation that happened before you even pressed the record button to broadcasting live on the web.
So how can you pick the perfect one? Gurpreet Mann, MA online journalism student at Birmingham City University, reviewed nine audio apps to check out their functionality and user experience.
Have a look at the list here and test some of the apps yourself – you might find a new addition to your reporting toolkit.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to get the most out of your smartphone camera when taking pictures at night
- Tip: How to prevent female reporters from becoming targets of abuse on social media
- Tip: 3 ways to make your headlines stand out on social media
- App for journalists: Enlight Photofox, for creative photo editing
- Tip: Remember this guide for investigative web research