But there are also third party apps out there that can help along the way, from recording the last few seconds of conversation that happened before you even pressed the record button to broadcasting live on the web.
So how can you pick the perfect one? Gurpreet Mann, MA online journalism student at Birmingham City University, reviewed nine audio apps to check out their functionality and user experience.
Have a look at the list here and test some of the apps yourself – you might find a new addition to your reporting toolkit.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for journalists using Instagram Stories
- Tip: Take note of this advice for collaborating on data journalism projects
- Tip: Bookmark these recommendations for creating 360-degree video
- Tip: How to set up a productive dialogue in a podcast without a host
- The Guardian Mobile Innovation Lab is working to elevate podcasts with a new player for the mobile web