Looking for some new tools to help improve your storytelling in 2018?
Poynter's Ren LaForme, who has been running the 'Try this! – Tools for journalism' newsletter throughout 2017 to provide inspiration, tutorials and recommendations for reporters, has rounded up some of the most popular tools of the year, based on readers' feedback.
LaForme's list includes: Microsoft Sway, a platform for telling interactive stories without learning how to code; the FT's IKEA-inspired toolkit, which can guide you through producing special or larger editorial projects in the newsroom; WNYC's Audiogram tool for sharing audio and podcasts on social media; and Quartz's Atlas, for creating charts and graphs.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- NYT uses new interactive design to report on sexual consent on campuses
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tool for journalists: InterviewJS, for turning interviews into interactive chats
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth