And it's important to make sure crowdsourced images are accurate before including them in your reporting.
At first glance, Instagram doesn't have a function that directly displays the exact time and date a picture was posted, but this information can be found in the embed code, as Wall Street Journal's Sarah Marshall explains in this post.
She notes it's also important to remember that although this provides useful insight, the date, time and location of an uploaded picture may not coincide with when and where the picture was actually taken.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: 12 tools for reporting on hurricanes and other disasters
- Tip: Looking to teach journalism online? Check out this advice
- Tip: Speed up your workflow with the ultimate cheatsheet for Wordpress keyboard shortcuts
- Tip: Use this advice for interviewing children
- Tip: how to correctly report on hurricanes