And it's important to make sure crowdsourced images are accurate before including them in your reporting.
At first glance, Instagram doesn't have a function that directly displays the exact time and date a picture was posted, but this information can be found in the embed code, as Wall Street Journal's Sarah Marshall explains in this post.
She notes it's also important to remember that although this provides useful insight, the date, time and location of an uploaded picture may not coincide with when and where the picture was actually taken.
Free daily newsletter
- 'This is about the death of the newsfeed': Stories may soon become the core of social media
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Check out this advice for getting your profile noticed on Instagram
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth