And it's important to make sure crowdsourced images are accurate before including them in your reporting.
At first glance, Instagram doesn't have a function that directly displays the exact time and date a picture was posted, but this information can be found in the embed code, as Wall Street Journal's Sarah Marshall explains in this post.
She notes it's also important to remember that although this provides useful insight, the date, time and location of an uploaded picture may not coincide with when and where the picture was actually taken.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Use backwatching to safely perform walking shots
- Tip: How to use structured journalism to cover developing stories
- Tip: How to launch your journalism startup successfully
- Tip: Try these 9 types of mobile visual storytelling
- Tip: How to add copyright-free images to your Wordpress site with the photo library feature