With mis- and dis-information on the rise, journalists need to hone their content-verification skills to recognise fake visuals.
To get you started, Serena O'Sullivan rounded up this five-step guide to spotting doctored photos. From identifying the image source to analysing it for editing with advanced tools, she helps you get to grips with picture verification.
"Examine what emotional response this image is drawing from you. If it is not coming from a legitimate news source, who might be sending it, and why? Why would someone would want you to feel this way," she wrote.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Beef up your digital security while working from home
- Tip: How to report on business if it is not your usual beat
- Our.News creates 'nutritional' fact-checking labels to help audiences make healthier news consumption choices
- Tip: Sea, sun and storytelling exercise book
- Tip: Make the most of your social media