Title tags play a crucial role in where your articles appear on search engine results - and we all know news publishers want to be as close as possible to the top of the pile. A sure-fire way of getting those clicks is writing a title that Google likes.
However, Google is now ramping up its capacity to rewrite titles which it deems to be missing information or could answer the query better. This process can result in significantly stunt click-through rates.
He writes that the most effective titles will: match search intent, be relevant to the page content, and be descriptive within character limits.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How UK freelance journalists can use ALCS to earn more money from their work
- Tip : Incorporate solutions journalism in your reporting
- Tip: Freelancer’s guide to battling mis- and disinformation in the news
- Tip: Recruit the best social media editor for your team
- Tip: Leadership advice for women in investigative journalism