Livestreaming apps such as Periscope have enabled journalists to reach their followers instantly, and as Facebook Live gains popularity, reporters should now be looking to experiment with the feature to engage with their audience on the social network.
Poynter's Al Tompkins and Benjamin Mullin have developed a list of 10 tips for using Facebook Live, ranging from how to become comfortable in front of the camera to providing value to the audience watching.
They put particular emphasis on being cautious when livestreaming breaking news in order to minimise the chances of distressing incidents being broadcast, such as a hostage situation or violent attack.
Free daily newsletter
- Digital News Report 2020: covid-19 accelerates digital shifts in the media industry
- How to fight mis- and disinformation during the coronavirus crisis
- Does a digital detox make sense during the covid-19 crisis?
- How to use social-native storytelling to break and cover news on Instagram
- Your comment section is only as good as your editorial strategy