If you are not sure why young journalists are being told to learn data skills and how to code, this article by Jéssica Cruz, IJNet contributor, will get you up to speed with why these skills are so important.
Cruz also offers tips and links to resources for reporters who wish to get started with learning how to code or for data journalism beginners.
"Journalists have a responsibility to explore open source databases, seeking stories that otherwise wouldn’t be evident, while also pressuring the government to make more data available online," writes Cruz, quoting Marco Túlio Pires, the Google News Lab lead for Brazil and Latin America.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for incorporating data skills into a journalism curriculum
- Tip: How to prepare for interviews and ask tough questions
- 18 data sources for investigative journalists
- Tip: Take note of this reporting advice from experienced journalists
- Tip: Make use of these resources for community building