If you are not sure why young journalists are being told to learn data skills and how to code, this article by Jéssica Cruz, IJNet contributor, will get you up to speed with why these skills are so important.
Cruz also offers tips and links to resources for reporters who wish to get started with learning how to code or for data journalism beginners.
"Journalists have a responsibility to explore open source databases, seeking stories that otherwise wouldn’t be evident, while also pressuring the government to make more data available online," writes Cruz, quoting Marco Túlio Pires, the Google News Lab lead for Brazil and Latin America.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for journalists using Instagram Stories
- Tip: Take note of this advice for collaborating on data journalism projects
- Tip: Bookmark these recommendations for creating 360-degree video
- Tip: How to set up a productive dialogue in a podcast without a host
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom