If you are not sure why young journalists are being told to learn data skills and how to code, this article by Jéssica Cruz, IJNet contributor, will get you up to speed with why these skills are so important.
Cruz also offers tips and links to resources for reporters who wish to get started with learning how to code or for data journalism beginners.
"Journalists have a responsibility to explore open source databases, seeking stories that otherwise wouldn’t be evident, while also pressuring the government to make more data available online," writes Cruz, quoting Marco Túlio Pires, the Google News Lab lead for Brazil and Latin America.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Here’s how to better share analytics with your team
- Tip: Check out these free tools for mobile audio
- Tip: How to adapt large journalism projects for small newsrooms
- Tip: Check out these multimedia resources from the ONA17 conference
- Tip: Remember this advice for writing strong headlines for social media