Many freelancers will at some point in their career struggle to retrieve late payments for their work.
Trying to speed the process along and to get some reassurance that your fee is on its way can be challenging and can take up time you would rather be spending on a different assignment.
This piece from Poynter by Jen A. Miller outlines a few methods journalists have used to collect late payments, from using a collection agency to working out the right time to burn the bridge with a client.
The post outlines experiences from journalists based in the US, so the relevant agencies and avenues of collecting late payments may be different in your country. However, it does provide a good insight into what is possible and some reassurance that it is okay to stop working with a client if they are not paying up promptly.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth
- Tip: Check out these recommendations before bringing podcasting into the classroom
- Tip: Bookmark these tools for collaborating on investigative projects