As the US are bracing themselves for ever more dangerous tropical weather events, hurricane-related hoaxes are taking over social media.
Fake stories and pictures are spreading at the speed of light, taking advantage of people's fear and need for reassurance.
To help you reporting on hurricanes correctly, Daniel Funke rounded up these nine tips on how to spot fake hurricane news.
"Know a few basic facts," writes Funke. "This may seem obvious, but in the past, there have been false reports that hurricanes were upgraded to Category 6 storms due to their strength — a classification that doesn’t exist."
Free daily newsletter
- Report: Audiences are ditching Facebook for sharing news, favouring the ‘safe space’ of private messaging apps
- Tip: Looking to teach journalism online? Check out this advice
- Tip: Speed up your workflow with the ultimate cheatsheet for Wordpress keyboard shortcuts
- Tip: Use this advice for interviewing children
- Tip: Know when to break your off-the-record promises