This checklist from Martha Kang on MediaShift can help you illustrate information correctly and to make sure you're highlighting the right relationship between different data sets.
She recommends choosing the right chart type for your data, even if it's not your preferred one; using colour in a sequential, diverging or categorical way according to the values you're showing; and avoiding excessively highlighting things that shouldn't grab readers' attention first.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Follow these instructions to make sure your listeners keep coming back to your podcast
- Tip: Bookmark these guides for journalists looking to get started with GitHub
- Tip: Learn how to restrict your internet access to focus on writing
- Tip: Follow these 10 steps when fact-checking a politician's claims
- Tip: Try out these tools to help you write and edit your stories