This checklist from Martha Kang on MediaShift can help you illustrate information correctly and to make sure you're highlighting the right relationship between different data sets.
She recommends choosing the right chart type for your data, even if it's not your preferred one; using colour in a sequential, diverging or categorical way according to the values you're showing; and avoiding excessively highlighting things that shouldn't grab readers' attention first.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark these helpful tools for writing faster
- Starting a journalism course at university? Here's how to make the most of your time there
- Tip: Check out this advice for writing a great column
- Tip: Here's what you need to know before your first Facebook Live
- Tip: Check out this guide for virtual reality storytelling