This checklist from Martha Kang on MediaShift can help you illustrate information correctly and to make sure you're highlighting the right relationship between different data sets.
She recommends choosing the right chart type for your data, even if it's not your preferred one; using colour in a sequential, diverging or categorical way according to the values you're showing; and avoiding excessively highlighting things that shouldn't grab readers' attention first.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Remember this advice for being more creative with social media storytelling
- Tip: Here's how to identify and fix issues when working with audio
- Tool for journalists: FotoForensics, for verifying images
- Tip: Check out this guide to encryption for beginners
- Tip: 18 ways to make data visualisations more mobile-friendly