This checklist from Martha Kang on MediaShift can help you illustrate information correctly and to make sure you're highlighting the right relationship between different data sets.
She recommends choosing the right chart type for your data, even if it's not your preferred one; using colour in a sequential, diverging or categorical way according to the values you're showing; and avoiding excessively highlighting things that shouldn't grab readers' attention first.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this advice for getting started with 360-degree video
- Tip: Remember these pointers for building communities using Facebook groups
- Tip: Recommendations for working with inconsistent data
- Tip: Advice for making events a part of your newsroom's engagement strategy
- Tool for journalists: Flourish, for creating data visualisations without coding