This checklist from Martha Kang on MediaShift can help you illustrate information correctly and to make sure you're highlighting the right relationship between different data sets.
She recommends choosing the right chart type for your data, even if it's not your preferred one; using colour in a sequential, diverging or categorical way according to the values you're showing; and avoiding excessively highlighting things that shouldn't grab readers' attention first.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to prevent female reporters from becoming targets of abuse on social media
- Tip: 3 ways to make your headlines stand out on social media
- Tip: Remember this guide for investigative web research
- Landing your dream internship: 3 tips from WSJ’s Ryan Knutson
- Tip: Check out this advice for reporting on Islam in Europe and US