This checklist from Martha Kang on MediaShift can help you illustrate information correctly and to make sure you're highlighting the right relationship between different data sets.
She recommends choosing the right chart type for your data, even if it's not your preferred one; using colour in a sequential, diverging or categorical way according to the values you're showing; and avoiding excessively highlighting things that shouldn't grab readers' attention first.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to write strong headlines for your stories
- Tip: Check out this advice for improving the reach of your podcast
- Tip: Remember these guidelines for spotting fake news online
- Considerations for journalists covering violence against women
- Tip: 6 pointers for effective data visualisations from Google