Although newer than their Snapchat counterpart, Instagram stories have quickly grown in popularity, reaching 250 million daily users.
In keeping with Instagram's emphasis on carefully crafted images and videos, the platform's stories feature has been embraced by publishers to take readers behind the scenes or share tidbits from articles that also direct them to the website for more information.
In this post on the NewsWhip blog, content strategist and analyst Gabriele Boland highlights seven ways publishers can utilise Instagram stories, from providing sneak peeks into what goes on in the newsroom, to first-person reporting and step-by-step tutorials.
For more advice on making the most of Snapchat and Instagram stories, check out our upcoming training course on 23 November, led by Sumaiya Omar, social media consultant and co-founder of social video company Hashtag Our Stories.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this list of newsletters about data journalism
- Tip: Use this search engine for US public records
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for local newsrooms to keep up with digital practices
- Tip: Remember these guidelines for good data journalism
- Tip: Check out this list of tools for creating social media posts