At a time when disinformation is an increasingly prevalent issue in the world of journalism, deception surrounding covid-19 is ever more dangerous.
Exposing the people behind it brings many challenges and requires precision.
Journalist Rowan Philp offers some tools and techniques you can use to uncover the people spreading inaccurate information on the pandemic in this article for Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN).
The open-source tool Hoaxy is one useful resource that allows you visualise the spread of posts and articles online, search articles from low-credibility sources, and plot the cumulative number of shares over time.
Do you want to become a successful freelancer? Learn new skills and get a certificate in freelance feature writing, pitching, copywriting, sub-editing and more. Click here for more information
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to report on online hate groups safely
- Tip: How to keep your career moving after losing your job
- Tip: How to start building your journalistic career during the covid-19 pandemic
- Tip: Free resources to help your newsroom cover the coronavirus
- Tip: How to manage digital overload in the newsroom